Public opinion is that Jaws The Revenge is one of the worst films ever made. It currently holds an exceedingly low ranking on IMDB and has a wealth of poor reviews on the Rotten Tomatoes website. There does seem to be something of a trend with mocking the film and slating it.
I have watched the Jaws films many times and I always find a curious appeal when I watch Jaws The Revenge. It is fair to say it does not have the greatness of the original or manages to rival Jaws 2. However I would suggest that it is actually not as bad as people make out. I think I actually prefer Jaws The Revenge to the to Jaws 3 because the character development is better and it feels more understated.
Jaws The Revenge does have some great things going for it, so here they are:
- The shark is still a decent size and they didn’t try and make it even bigger than the 35 foot shark in Jaws.
- Michael Caine is on form and delivers some great one liners
- The locations are beautiful and underwater photography is stunning
- The soundtrack is eerie and compelling
- The opening scene of Sean out on the boat is actually quite chilling and well handled
- Two endings, so you can choose which one you prefer!
- Good chemistry between the characters, particularly Ellen and Hoagie
- People moan about the flashback’s Ellen has of her husband killing the shark (when she wasn’t actually present) but maybe this isn’t her personal flashback, maybe this is so audiences can draw parallels between this film and the original
- Having an older female lead (Ellen) helps break the mould of a male at the centre of the action
- The running time means it doesn’t drag…too much!
(Author Benjamin Fastnedge – themovieandthemuse)